Devotion: Ruth 3:6-9Naomi and Ruth hatched a plan to secure Boaz as the kinsman redeemer. Boaz had been merciful and gracious to Naomi and Ruth and in this way showed a Christlike character. The plan involved going to Boaz in the night and uncovering his feet. In this way Naomi and Ruth choose Boaz as their rdeemer.
"So she went down to the threshing floor and did just as her mother-in-law had commanded her. And when Boaz had eaten and drunk, and his heart was merry, he went to lie down at the end of the heap of grain. Then she came softly and uncovered his feet and lay down.At midnight the man was startled and turned over, and behold, a woman lay at his feet! He said, 'Who are you?' And she answered, 'I am Ruth, your servant. Spread your wings over your servant, for you are a redeemer.' " -Ruth 3:6-9 ESVAs Presbyterians we often are maligned for downgrading free will (or even erasing it). We believe that human beings are bound to sin and they can choose whatever they want, its just that the choice will inevitably be sin because we are totally depraved. It takes the movement of God to change the human heart to desire righteousness and thus choose something--or someone--else. God moves first and we respond to the movement of God in faith. So it is in the story of Ruth and Boaz.
As mentioned above, Boaz is filling in the role of the Christ in the story. He has already regarded Ruth and been faithful and kind to her and through her to Naomi. Boaz has already turned the heart of Naomi from bitterness to hope and the lot of Ruth from desperation to plenty. Ruth now responds to the gracious acts of Boaz by asking him to be her redeemer.
Consider your own faith and the many graces that God has given to you as you respond to the true Christ, Jesus, and claim him now as your redeemer as well.
News for You:
- In addition to the morning service, there will be a candlelight Christmas Eve service on Sunday, December 24th, at 7pm.
- The Okanogan Community Homeless Shelter is looking for volunteers to be overnight hosts on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at New Life Church in Okanogan. Please see the sign-up sheet at the Welcome Center for available dates.
- There will be a nursery Christmas party on Sunday, December 24th during the morning service. Nursery staff are requesting a cover charge of two jars of baby food that will be donated to the food bank.
- There will be a new Elder and Deacon training meeting on Wednesday, December 27th, from 1-5 pm at the church.
- The new youth director position has been posted online. If you know of anyone who is qualified for the position, please contact the church.